Posting date 11/18/2022 Closing date
Open Until Filled Yes
Position Number 1128309
Position Title Associate Athletics Director of Athletics Facilities Operations
Department this Position Reports to Deputy Athletics Director of Athletics Facilities Operations
Hiring Range Minimum Please Inquire
Hiring Range Maximum Please Inquire
SEIU Level Not an SEIU Position
FLSA Status Exempt
Employment Category Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year 12
Scheduled Hours per Week 40 Schedule
Location of Position
Remote Work Eligibility? Onsite only
Is this a term position? No
If yes, length of term in months. NA
Is this a grant funded position? No Position Purpose
To direct and oversee the planning and development, management, operations, and maintenance of all College sports and recreational buildings, facilities, and fields, promoting customer accessibility and utilization, inclusive of events and activities open to the public, within established priorities while ensuring cost-effective operations, and safety/risk management control. Description
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp Bachelors plus 6 or more years' experience or combination of education and experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proven leadership and managerial skills.
- Willingness and ability to exercise judgment and initiative and to interact with College senior administrators, personnel, and outside agencies in a professional manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Discretion and sensitivity to the nuances of managing competing priorities in the higher education environment.
- Strong knowledge of athletics facilities management and construction/renovation projects management.
- Proven ability to lead a diverse workforce.
- Ability to work effectively, independently, and as a member of a team.
- Flexibility and openness to change.
- Ability to plan work, set priorities, and respond to pressures, deadlines, and changes in schedules and priorities.
- Ability to develop, execute, and manage complex budgets.
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title Richard Whitmore, Deputy Athletics Director of Athletics Facilities Operations Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged. Background Check
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law. Special Instructions to Applicants
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against COVID-19 (or to have received an approved exemption from vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity). Please visit for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending employment.
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details, please see our policy.
Quick Link Key Accountabilities Description
- Identifies, develops, and implements plans and programs to meet the short and long-range facility needs of the sports and recreation programs, as well as major campus and community events.
- Evaluates facilities on a continuous basis to identify existing and foreseeable needs for repair, replacement, upgrade, and new construction to meet department goals and objectives.
- Collaborates with Campus Services and Facilities Operations and Management (FO&M) and other campus constituencies on regular maintenance, preventative maintenance, deferred maintenance and supports the Deputy Athletics Director on all capital planning and construction management projects
Percentage Of Time 25% Description
- Develops and manages the Athletics and Recreation facilities maintenance and operation plans, including preventive maintenance, routine, and emergency repair programs.
- Directs the overall operations of Athletics and Recreation facilities, ensuring reliable operations, proper maintenance, and regulatory compliance in all areas.
- Inspects facilities and identifies, reports and coordinates all maintenance requirements and resolves potential liability problems.
- Oversees the Assistant Athletics Director for Athletics Grounds and the Assistant Director of Athletics Facilities to support the coordination with FO&M to ensure satisfactory and timely setup, maintenance, repair, and cleaning of facilities.
Percentage Of Time 25% Description
- Collaborates with senior athletic department staff and the Office of the President to direct the general use and operation and the controlled access use of individual facilities, including the development, implementation, and enforcement of operating policies and procedures.
- Co-manages the Assistant Athletics Director for Facilities Scheduling and Event Management on the scheduling for varsity contests and practices, Physical Education programs, intramural programs, club sports, FLIP classes, open recreation, other College programs and activities of non-College groups for all athletic venues.
- Oversees the rental and/or use of athletic and recreation facilities for non-athletic or non-College events/activities and participates in the management of varsity and recreational events.
- Works with the staff to achieve the highest quality delivery of services consistent with resources available and establishes standards of performance and promotes a strong customer service orientation.
- Willingness to be available for night and weekend on-call duty when required.
Percentage Of Time 20% Description
- Provides leadership to the department safety program by identifying the need for and spearheading efforts for change in safety practices to minimize safety risks, including working with the Assistant AD for Event Management and Operations, Deputy Athletics Director, and other college and external organizations to develop and test emergency management procedures and action plans.
- Directs the identification and documentation of all risk management issues and problems and follows through to ensure that all potential liability problems within Athletics and Recreation facilities are addressed satisfactorily through appropriate temporary and permanent measures.
- Serves as the Main Safety Officer for the department.
- Collaborates with the Environmental Health and Safety Office in the development of safety policies and practices and with the College Risk Manager and Legal Office on the resolution of liability issues.
- Serves as the liaison with the Department of Safety and Security local and state law enforcement and contracted security providers to provide security in all facilities and at contests and special events.
Percentage Of Time 10% Description
- Co-manages the Assistant AD for Events Management and Operations with the Deputy Athletics Director as it relates to the ~250 yearly home varsity events open to the public.
- Partners with the Deputy Athletics Director and Assistant AD for Events Management and Operations to analyze and review the prospective yearly varsity schedule to ensure compliance, balance, and practicality.
- Manages a facility rotation schedule that provides real-time support and coverage for all of these events.
Percentage Of Time 5% Description
- Develops and administers annual and long-range operating budgets.
- Researches and develops cost estimates for budget requirements (maintenance and repair of facilities, supplies and equipment, training/certification, etc.) and projected rental revenue.
- Targets and achieves cost savings through application of progressive management techniques and analyses of facility requirements
Percentage Of Time 5% Description
- Supervises directly and indirectly 16 permanent staff (Athletic Facilities and ~70 student/seasonal/volunteer workers). Hires, coaches, and mentors team to meet evolving department needs.
- Serves as a member of the athletic director's senior management team. Contributes to department-wide administration, policy development, and strategic planning efforts.
- Serves on department and college committees.
- Articulates the department's vision and goals in concert with the College's mission and values.
- Maintains effective relations with faculty, students, alumni and athletics support groups.
- Oversees the documentation and periodic editing of Departmental policies and procedures in a Departmental Policies and Procedures Manual.
Percentage Of Time 10%
-- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others. -- Performs other duties as assigned.