Chicago Department of Aviation
Number of Positions: One (1)
The Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA), Facility operations section operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week basis, including weekends and holidays. The Facility operations section has Managers and various skilled trades and labor members to cover all shifts. The area of operations spans the entire airport including the terminal, buildings and surrounding grounds. Under direction of the Managing Deputy Commissioner (MDC) of Midway International Airport (Midway), the General Manager of Airport Operations is a critical staff member who leads, plans, directs, organizes, controls, and coordinates the activities of the airport facility operations at Midway. The General Manager is responsible for all facility contracts, including drafting, ensuring contractor compliance, and associated budgets. Coordinates and directs the facility staff and liaisons with the other functional areas including airside operations, security, and landside. Oversees the work of area foreman to ensure conformance to schedules, regulations, and standards; The General Manager serves as liaison with appropriate federal, state and local agencies maintains a working relationship with tenants and concessionaires and performs related duties as required.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of Facility Operations at Midway, including one terminal, surrounding buildings and grounds.
- Oversight of the Facility operations staff, including Managers, Foremen and various skilled trades and labor.
- Oversees the development of and manage contracts associated with Facility Operations, including Property Management, Landscaping, Fencing, Furniture, Seasonal Decorations and others.
- Address concerns of airline tenants and stakeholders regarding Facility Operations.
- Assist in coordinating all ongoing projects in the Facility Operations areas of responsibility by City Trades, City Contractors and Tenant Contractors.
- Meet with airport tenants, contractors, property manager and department staff to review and discuss operations including safety and security, planned Facility construction, general maintenance, and structural repairs.
- Serve as liaison to sister agencies, along with Landside, to coordinate construction work in the perimeter of the airport to avoid impacts to the traveling public.
- Develops, implements, and monitors programs designed to improve and expand department services.
- Analyze and evaluates program efficiency and recommends improvements.
- Establish work priorities for department programs.
- Apprise MDC of the status of projects
- Represent the leadership and the department at meetings, and to the public.
- Draft department recommendations, letters, position papers, status updates or policies.
Applicants who have work experience in Facility operations in the aviation industry is strongly encouraged to apply
Additional duties may be required for this position.
Chicago Midway International Airport
Days: Monday - Friday
Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
(Must be flexible to work outside of regular Business Hours including nights, holidays,
THIS POSITION IS EXEMPT FROM THE CAREER SERVICE Qualifications
MIMIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited college or university preferably with a bachelor’s degree in Aviation Management, Business Administration or a directly related field, plus six years of airport operations work experience, of which four years are in a progressively responsible supervisory role related to the responsibilities of the position, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Working skill in the application of methods and practices utilized in general airport maintenance and operation. Working skill in the application of methods and practices utilized in general airport maintenance and operation. Working skill in communicating effectively, both orally and in writing. Working skill in performing the managerial functions of planning, controlling, and coordinating the activities of a specific functional area.
NOTE: Must be flexible for early and/or late meetings and weekends.
NOTE: This is a 24/7 on-call operations, based on operational needs.
SELECTION REQUIREMENTS: This position requires an applicant to successfully complete an interview which will include a written assessment. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the interview and assessment, will be selected.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
City of Chicago Department of Human Resources
Lori Lightfoot, Mayor Christopher Owen, Commissioner
Please note, all positions with the City of Chicago close promptly at 11:59pm C.D.T. Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59p.m. CDT on December 14, 2022. No exceptions will be made.